If you create a list of fabrics found throughout your home, there are a few items that will come to mind straight off the bat. Sheets, clothes, couches, comforters, throws, table cloths, rugs, and towels are usually what people name first, but when’s the last time you took a close look at your draperies?
Draperies are often overlooked when it comes to home maintenance, yet they carry a surprising amount of wear and tear. Direct sunlight. Extreme cold in the winter. Extreme heat in the summer. Not to mention the pulling of the fabric as you open and close your draperies almost daily.
These are some of the most common hardships that your privacy curtains face, and they lead to fading, abrasive damage, staining, and shrinkage. Did you know that when draperies are cleaned, that shrink 5%? Finding new draperies to match a room can be a nightmare, so to ensure the ones you have last, show them a little tender love and care.
Here are 5 ways to keep your draperies looking pristine:
- Clean your drapes annually. Yellowing can occur from excess staining and soiling. We recommend cleaning drapes once a year to avoid build-up and discoloration.
- Avoid consistent exposure to dampness. Window condensation and leaky windows are the most common culprits when it comes to damp drapes. Consider solutions that keep excess moisture out of your house and away from your draperies.
- Rotate your drapes. Eastern and Western facing windows draw the most sunlight. To avoid fading and color mutations, consider a musical-chairs-type-rotation with your window treatments.
- Protect drapes from abrasions. Pets, furniture, windowsills, and other sharp objects should be put out of reach of your drapes. No contact means no rubbing and no abrasions.
- When you don’t have cleaning instructions, don’t guess. Fabrics differ, and too often draperies don’t come with cleaning directions. Don’t risk harming the fabric of your draperies. Instead, consider enlisting the services of a knowledgeable expert. Your local drycleaner knows how to treat a ton of fabrics, and can help you ensure a thorough and safe cleaning to keep your curtains looking fresh.
If you are interested in seeking the help of a professional drycleaner to bring back the vibrancy in your draperies, then consider a company with over 85 years of experience in fabric care.
Admiral Cleaners has cleaning down a science. With pickup and delivery, Admiral can make this annual chore an easy item to check off your maintenance list.
Admiral offers professional drapery cleaning in Annapolis, Easton, and Salisbury locations. Find your closest Admiral Cleaners Location.